Attention: Philadelphia 10th and 11th Graders! We are now accepting applications for enrollment in the Out4STEM Program. The Out4STEM Program aims to provide Philadelphia’s LGBTQ+ youth with STEM-centered mentorship, academic support and career advice in an inclusive, safe space.
This one-year program will address the unique challenges facing LGBTQ+ youth while providing a safe environment to learn about careers in science and medicine. The Out4STEM Program covers the following areas:
- Introduce students to careers related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and healthcare/medicine.
- Acquire practical job skills in a healthcare field by successfully completing a Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT)
- Cultivate relationships between like-minded, motivated Philadelphia LGBTQ+ students.
- Develop a greater understanding of the body’s physiological response to stress.
- Facilitate stress relieving techniques.
- Address the impact of bullying and discrimination and develop responses.
- Learn to communicate, heal, and build a community.
The next cohort will start in March 2017 and continue through the 2017-2018 academic year. The program will consist of after-school sessions once a week (every 1st and 3rd Tuesdays) and summer sessions on select days in July.
10th and 11th grade students in the Philadelphia School District (including charter, private, and parochial schools) are eligible to apply. To be considered all interested candidates must complete an application, obtain one letter of recommendation from an adult affiliated with a related high school or after-school program (examples: a teacher, coach, counselor, principal, volunteer leader, or church or community leader), and submit a 1-2 page essay. Applicants must also obtain a Pennsylvania state work permit (more information on obtaining one can be found here) and receive permission from a parent or guardian. Note: There are no costs to enroll or be enrolled in the Out4STEM Program.
Completed applications can be submitted via email or standard mail to the following address:
Attn: Quincy Greene (Out4STEM Internship)
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
The deadline to apply is FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2017 (all mailed applications must be postmarked by that date to be considered). If you have any questions, please contact Quincy Greene, Youth Support Coordinator. For more information about the Out4STEM Program, please consult our website.